I am re-posting here from my Pilates website, this very popular article on weight loss and the most common mistakes people do. Have a good read through and if you have questions, you can contact me at ASK Claudia or on any of my social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
5 common mistakes that can hamper your weight loss
1. You diet too much. Yes, that’s right. Most “calories restricted” diets, will only crash your metabolism, making it all too easy to pile on the pounds as soon as you stop them. The reason behind that, is that your body will “adapt” to survive with less, considerably slowing down your metabolic rate.
2. You don’t eat healthy fat. You need fat to metabolize fat. So in order to “burn” those extra fat cells deposits, you will need a small amount of “good” fats. Fats are essential for important cellular functions, you cannot deprive yourself from them. They also help to give your skin some glow and help prevent wrinkle formation. On top of that, “fat free” food are bound to be laced with sugars and artificial flavorings to make them more appealing to the your taste buds.
3. You don’t sleep enough. Research have shown that lack of sleep has a negative impact on our overall state of health. Prolonged lack of sleep have been linked to anxiety, depression and even cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Lack of sleep will increase the production of the stress hormone “cortisol” which research has shown to be a key player in storing fat around the waistline.
4. You do too much cardio. Whilst cardiovascular activity is necessary both for health and weight loss, too much can be counterproductive. On the contrary strength training has been proven effective in helping burn more calories even post-workout. Building lean muscle is crucial in speeding up our metabolism, therefore to loose weight. A combination of both cardiovascular and strength training seems to be the most effective with regards of weight loss.
5. You worry too much. Too much stress can have a negative effect on both our mental and physical well-being. Cortisol will help storing fats, especially around our waistline.