After Christmas, we all want some light and healthier food, and if you are a fan of Veguanary this sweet potato chili is really great. It is really delicious to start with, so it can be your ideal substitute for a yummy mid-week dinner where you can introduce lots of vegetables in your diet, but without sacrificing any of the taste. On the contrary, this sweet potato chili it is so delicious that I had it twice in the same week!
Tasty and nutritious
Sweet potatoes are a nutritionally dense vegetable, and they are particularly rich in Vitamin A great for your eysight. Beans, bring lots of vegetable proteins and other micronutrients too. This vegan sweet potatoes chili is rich in vegetable proteins with a good aminoacids profile, complex carbs, vitamin A, vitamin B6, manganese, copper and traces of all other major vitamins and minerals.
What to have it with
I personally eat this chili with a small wholemeal pitta bread slice, but you can have it with a small portion of quinoa. Thanks to the presence of sweet potatoes that bring more carbs, I would stay away from white rice, which has a faster GI, meaning that it releases sugar pretty easily into the bloodstream. if you really want to have it with rice you could try red rice, which has a lower GI index or simply make sure that you cook your white rice “al dente” because when white rice is overcooked it releases sugar more quickly.
Good for vegan and meat eaters alike
You don’t nee to be a vegetarian or a vegan to enjoy this dish: this chili is so tasty, I promise, that it can be a great choice for non-vegetarian simply looking to introduce more vegetables and reduce their meat intake a bit. Remember small steps lead to big achievements!
Save time in the kitchen
If you don’t like to cook often, this sweet potato chili is great for freezing too! Just double up the doses and so you can have a couple of portions ready in your freezer.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 Sweet potatoes medium, peeeled
- 1 can Kidney beans
- 1 can Plum tomatoes
- Red onion medium
- 2 Shallots
- 1/3 Green bell pepper
- 1/3 Red bell pepper
- Few slices Jalapeno pepper
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Packet ready-made Chili con carne spices
- Prepare the onions, shallots and peppers and slice them finely, place them in the pan with the oil and the jalapeno pepper. Let the vegetables sweat for 4-5 min then add the sweet potatoes peeled and chopped up.
- .Add 2/3 of the chili spices and let it cook for another 4-5 min, then add the drained kidney beans, the plum tomatoes and the rest of the spices. Let it cook for another 15-20 min at low heat.
- When ready serve with a slice of wholemeal pitta bread or small portion of red rice.
I cook revised everyday recipes that people can enjoy to eat. They are revised to lower sugar, balanced to avoid carbs overload and nutrient-dense.