The Healthy Gourmet take on the traditional Greek salad. I made this dish the other day and frankly with what I had left in my fridge, but it is delicious and a very much needed variation to the traditional Greek salad recipe, which I am sure many of you have eaten far too many times.
Fresh salads are great for this warm weather, and most of all they are ready in 5 min, perfect for someone with a busy life, or always on the go like me.
The combination of the green pepper and the celery as opposed to the cucumber, is interesting and zesty, and from a nutritional point of view, they bring more fibers, vitamin C, potassium, and other phytochemicals that are thought to contribute to lower inflammation, protect the cardiovascular system and act a mild diuretic.
If you are trying to cut down on dairy like me, the secret is to just crumble the feta cheese, rather cut it into chunks, and really stir it through the salad in order to give flavor and texture but reduce the amount of dairy.
A delicious and fresh variation to the traditional Greek salad recipe.
- 4-5 cocktail tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 big stalk of celery
- 6 black olives
- 1 table spoon of crumbled organic feta cheese
- a generous pinch of organic dried oregano
- Cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil to taste
- Step 1 Simply wash the vegetables and cut the tomatoes, finely slice the pepper and celery, add all the other ingredients, stir a bit to le tall the flavours spread and serve!
Remember: colors are nature’s way to remind you the you need a variety of nutrients, not just few! Don’t afraid to add vegetables and colors to your salads and diet, but also be mindful and listen to your body. In fact for example peppers and tomatoes are in fact part of the “nightshades” family, and they can be irritant for some people that are intolerant to them.
More inspiration for salads and recipes ready in less than 10 min:
- Sumac green salad
- Summer mackarel salad
- Sundried tomatoes, celery and white beans salad
- Zataar, chickpeas & feta summer salad
- Chickpeas, avocado & spinach turmeric cous-cous
- Rocket, walnuts & grana Padano cheese