Ready in less than 15min and delicious, this mackerel, borlotti beans & spelt salad recipe, is super filling and loaded with proteins and vegetables.
This recipe is really balanced in its proteins, complex carbs and vegetables ingredients, to keep you fuller for longer and keep those sugar craving at bay.
Spelt contains gluten, but it can sometimes be more tolerated that wheat, and can be a good addition to your diet to create variety and lower your wheat intake. Spelt can be made in advance and can keep in the fridge for a day or two, making this recipe also for lunch boxes.
The celery and tomatoes bring more nutrients and lightness to the dish. You can use some of the celery leaves to garnish.
Mackerel, borlotti beans & spelt salad
A tasty, proteins and vegetables loaded spelt, mackerel & borlotti salad.
- 3 ready to eat smocked mackerel fillets
- 1 borlotti beans can (drained)
- 60 grams of spelt
- 2 celery stalks
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- a pinch of oregano
- a sprinkle of extra-virgin olive oil
- a dash of balsamic glaze
- a dash of black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Step 1 Place the spelt in a pot with boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 In the meantime, drains the borlotti beans,place them in a serving salad bowl, with mackerel fillets, cut in big chunks, the cherry tomatoes cut in half, the celery and onion finely sliced, the oregano. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Step 3 When the spelt is ready, drained it, and place it under running cold water for a minute to cool it down. Add to the salad, stir & serve!
Most of my recipes are created to minimize waste & save time in the kitchen, making it easy to plan our weekly meals. This recipe can be easily done using leftovers from my asparagus, courgettes & celery soup, a light and refreshing soup that you can eat during the week or freeze for convenience.