A gluten-free and vegan autumnal recipe, delicious, super easy to make and ready in 15 minutes! It is perfect for those chilly nights in, when you want something comforting but don’t feel like cooking, and it is a great addition for dinner party, for those last minute vegan and gluten-free friends.
Polenta is gluten-free and can be ready in only few minutes ( if you use the brand that I recommend below) so it great to have in your kitchen cupboard. It is fancy enough to be used in more sophisticated recipes to impress your friends for dinner, but humble enough to used a substitute to mash potatoes, to accompany stews ad sauces.
Polenta is basically a type of corn flour, originally from northern Italy. The good point is that once cooked it really fills itself with water, meaning that you can to use a small quantity for single serving. The downside is though it has very little fibres and a higher GI ( similar to that of white potatoes).
Healthy tip. Make sure you add lots of vegetables or a proteins rich sauce to lower its sugar release. Eat in moderate quantities.
Polenta with mushrooms & crushed walnuts
A vegan, gluten-free, autumnal recipe, perfect for a comforting meal in or dinner party.
- Ingredients (serves two)
- 50 grams of ( precooked) polenta (Polenta valsugana)
- 1 packet of brown mushrooms
- 1/2 a carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 walnuts
- Extra-virgin olive oil-
- a bit of organic stock cube ( kalo)
- Step 1 Wash and slice the mushrooms, and place them in a small non-stick pan, with a little of olive oil and the garlic and carrot chopped up.
- Step 2 Let them cook adding a small amount of water and a tad of crumbled stock cube.
- Step 3 In the meantime cook the polenta according to the packet instructions. You will have to stir it continuously, but only for 3 minutes, so it is possible.
- Step 4 When the polenta is ready place it in a serving plate, add the mushrooms and crushed walnuts. Enjoy!