I made this Mediterranean pasta with peppers, tomatoes and olives, from some leftover roasted peppers that I had made for the previous day, and some leftovers salad tomatoes. This pasta was delicious, full of fibers and satisfying.
It is perfect for a family meal or a dinner for two, when you want something satisfying and comforting. It is a perfect summer pasta recipe, great for lunch, dinner or a garden party. Great for an office lunch too.
Pepppers, tomatoes and olives pasta
The perfect pasta recipe for the summer, full of Mediterranean flavours and vegetables.
- 75 gr of pasta (fusilli)
- 2 half roasted peppers ( red and yellow)
- 1 big salad tomato
- 5-6 pitted black olives
- a sprinkle of extra-virgin olive oil
- some freshly grated Parmesam cheese
- 1 garlic clove ( optional)
- a pinch of chili flakes
- a generous pinch of oregano
- sea salt to taste
- Step 1 Simply cut the tomato in small pieces and places it in a pan with a sprinkle of olive oil, some oregano and chili flakes, and let it sweat at low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Step 2 Then add the roasted peppers cut in pieces and the olives cut in two, and let it sweat for 3-4 minutes more.
- Step 3 In the meantime cook the pasta according to the packet instructions and make sure that is “al dente”.
- Step 4 Drained it place it in the pan with sauce, stir, add the Parmesan and serve!
As usual, the tomatoes are cooked in a way that enhance their flavor and facilitate the release of lycopene, which a phytonutrients believed to have cancer protecting properties, and without burning the oil, which can release some cancer inducing compounds when it goes pass its smoking point.
If you choose wheat pasta, I wold suggest to go an organic quality to avoid pesticides like glyphosate, or even better a can choose an organic wholemeal pasta, like Biona or Seeds of change.