A traditional recipe from the south of Italy this garlic, chili & broccoli pasta, is a staple of my witnter menu. Originally made with “orecchiette” a typical pasta from the Puglia region, can be made with any other type of pasta, including gluten-free.
For the result of this recipe, it’s important not to overcook the broccoli. I steam them for only 4-5 min, and then I use the leftover water to cook the pasta while I am sautéing the broccoli.
This pasta is healthy, filling and cheap great a great staple for the winter.
Broccoli have lots of health benefits, in particular they help support the liver and metabolize oestrogen and seem to have anti-inflammatory properties. The extra-virgin olive oil, with its polyphenols, vitamin E and omega 3 , bring more benefits, while the garlic and the chili help with digestion.
Pasta with chili, garlic & broccoli
A healthy & tasty Italian vegan pasta recipe, typical of the south of Italy.
- 150 grams of “shell shape pasta
- 1 medium broccoli
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A tiny bit of dried chili
- Sea salt to taste
- Step 1 Wash and steam the broccoli until they still retain their green color and a bit of crunchiness.
- Step 2 In the meantime put the garlic and chili in a medium non-stick pan with a couple of table spoons of olive oil.Warm it up until the garlic and chili release their flavor, but without burning the oil.
- Step 3 Add the broccoli cut it in small bits and finish to cook in the pan at low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Step 4 Add the pasta “al dente”, that you have cooked in the meantime.
- Step 5 Serve, enjoy!