Tomatoes sauce can be used on pasta or to give instant flavor to a host of dishes that might otherwise be bland. It can be added to with beans or chickpeas for an instant “baked beans” feeling, or eggs, meats and vegetables for an instant stew flavor.
This is the recipe for the real, authentic Italian tomatoes sauce, the one that you made at home for your everyday pasta or other dishes. This sauce is made with tinned tomatoes, which are not the healthiest choice ( a recipe made with fresh tomatoes is coming soon) but is never the less very convenient, and can be made in advance and even frozen.
As you can see, the recipe is pretty simple, which is the case in many Italian dishes. All you need is garlic, a small shallot, chili, oregano and some basil or thyme.
The original recipe is obviously made with basil, but since that in the UK Italian basil is not so flavorsome, I would suggest you to use Greek basil or some thyme, that is easy to find and keep in a small pot.
Italian tomatoes sauce
An authentic Italian tomatoes sauce recipe, easy to make, and great add to your pasta, pizza and lots of other dishes.
- 1 tinned tomatoes ( organic if possible) 400 gr
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- a generous pinch of oregano
- a dash of chili flakes
- some basil leaves or a thyme sprig
- extra-virgin olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt to taste
- Step 1 Simply finely slice the shallot, and place it in pan with the olive oil, the peeled garlic cut in half and the chili flakes, and let warm in the pan at low heat for a couple of minutes without burning.
- Step 2 Add the plum tomatoes cut in pieces, and the juices, the oregano and a dash of water.
- Step 3 Let it cook at low/medium heat for 15 min, making sure that the sauce doesn’t get too dry and adding the basil or thyme midway through.
Let me know what you think, if you have questions, and share with me photos of this recipe if attempt to make some.
More Mediterranean healthy recipes you might like……