Healthy eating is not about starvation and deprivation, but it is about nourishing yourself and experiencing food as a joyful part of life.
Enjoy the flavors and taste of Summer with this Italian seafood risotto. Seafood is rich in critical thyroid-supporting nutrients like iodine, zinc and selenium, while mussels are rich in vitamin B12.
This risotto brings together carbs, lean proteins, and veggies, helping to slow down the absorption of carbs,
You can use frozen seafood
You don’t need to use fresh produce. This Italian seafood risotto, will be delicious even with frozen mussels and king prawns. Contrary to popular belief, frozen produce, maintains most of the nutritional value and it is usually cheaper and very convenient to use.
What I have used for this seafood risotto
- Ribe rice ( but you can all types of rice)
- Mussels with shell ( frozen)
- Mussels without shell ( frozen and cheaper)
- King prawns (frozen)
- Ripe tomatoes
- Arugula ( rocket leaves) but you can use all types of greens, or courgettes, or asparagus
- Tiny bit of chili ( optional )
- A dash of sweet paprika ( optional)
- Organic stock cube ( kalo)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
For this risotto I literally used what I had leftover in the kitchen, plus some frozen food.
The combination of a moderate amount of carbohydrates with veggies and the proteins of the seafood helps increase the sense of satiety and stabilize blood sugar levels.
They are really a good source of Vitamin B12 and contain good traces of other B vitamins. They have good quantities of manganese and selenium and other trace minerals.
Lean proteins and calcium.
Tomatoes & Arugula
Both veggies bring phytonutrients, Vitamin A, folates, and magnesium. Lycopene, which is the cancer-protecting phytochemical in tomatoes, gets activated by heat.
Italian Seafood Risotto
- 60 gr Ribe rice
- 4 Mussels ( with shell ) Frozen
- 6 Mussels ( without shell ) Frozen
- 4 King prawns Frozen
- 1 Plum tomato ( fresh and ripe )
- a handful Rocket ( arugula ) leaves
- 1 Garlic clove ( peeled )
- 1/2 Stock cube ( organic )
- a dash Chili ( optional )
- a dash Sweet paprika ( optional )
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the peeled and chopped garlic clove in a non-stick pan with the olive oil and tiny bit of dried chili. Let the flavour release then add the chopped tomatos and chopped rucola ( arugula ). Let it cook for 3-4 minutes at low heat.
- Add the rice and frozen seafood, and cover with some light broth that you have made with the organic stock cube.
- Keep cooking at low heat for 15 min or according to the instrunctions on the rice packe, depending on the type of rice used, or until the water is fully absorbed. Cook the rice adding small quantitty of water at a time.