This delicious and easy to make tomato sauce is traditionally made for pasta, but it can be used to give flavour a host of different dishes, like fish, eggs, meats, and vegetables for an instant stew flavor.
It can also be used with legumes like chickpeas and beans for an instant ” baked beans” flavor.
This is the recipe for a real, authentic Italian tomatoes sauce, the one that you make at home for your everyday pasta. It is the recipe that we traditionally make at home, in Tuscany and central Italy. It is made very simply with tinned tomatoes, garlic, shallots, chili flakes, good quality extra-virgin olive oil, and some herbs. That’s it. Simple and delicious.
This sauce is made with tinned tomatoes, which may not be the healthiest choice ( a recipe made with fresh tomatoes is coming soon) but they are never the less very convenient and can be made in advance and even frozen, and a much better alternative to the shop-bought ones.
The original recipe is obviously made with basil, but since that in the UK Italian basil is not so flavorsome, I would suggest you to use Greek basil or some thyme, which is easy to find and keep in a small pot.
Italian tomatoes sauce
An authentic Italian tomatoes sauce recipe, easy to make, and great add to your pasta, pizza and lots of other dishes.
- 1 tinned tomatoes ( organic if possible) 400 gr
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- a generous pinch of oregano
- a dash of chili flakes
- some basil leaves or a thyme sprig
- 2 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt to taste
- Step 1 Simply finely slice the shallot, and place it in pan with the olive oil, the peeled garlic cut in half and the chili flakes, and let warm in the pan at low heat for a couple of minutes without burning.
- Step 2 Add the plum tomatoes cut in pieces, and the juices, the oregano and a dash of water.
- Step 3 Let it cook at low/medium heat for 15 min, making sure that the sauce doesn’t get too dry and adding the basil or thyme midway through.
Let me what you think, if you have questions, and share with me photos of this recipe if you attempt to make some! #TheHealthyGourmet