An easy version of the classical Mediterranean shakshuka recipe, served with some garlic and chili spinach on a side. My mum used to love eggs and tomatoes sauce, and for me as well it has been an easy and yummy quick recipe, for when I needed something proteins based, healthy but fancy at the same time.
This recipe can be served for a rich brunch, or really any other time of the day. The spinach on the side, not only complement the recipe perfectly well, but also ensure that you have some fibers intake, and that you don’t indulge too much in the yummy sauce. ( they can be a magnet for those bread slices, and might want to exercise some restraint!)
Easy Mediterranean Shakshuka eggs
A yummy and easy version of the classic Mediterranean dish, full of flavors, perfect for brunch or any other time of the day.
- 2 free range or organic eggs
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- 2/3 of a tinned tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- a sprinkle of extra-virgin olive oil
- a dash of oregano
- a dash of sumac
- a dash of turmeric
- a dash of chili flakes
- Step 1 Peel the garlic, cut in half, place in a pan with the chili flakes, and the olive oil. Bring to heat, and making sure you don’t burn the oil, let the garlic release that flavor.
- Step 2 Add the plum tomatoes roughly chopped a bit of the juice, and the spices. Let it simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the eggs and let simmer until cooked.
- Step 4 In the meantime place the other garlic love, chili and olive oil in another pan, and bring to heat as above.
- Step 5 Add the washed spinach and let it stir fry at medium heat, without burning the oil.
- Step 6 Add to a serving plate, with the eggs, tomatoes sauce. Serve with some pitta or sourdough bread.
The garlic and chili pan fried spinach are a classic Italian side recipe, that you can serve with many dishes fish or meat, and you can also find in my previous recipe Serrano & spinach breakfast eggs.